View Full Version : FreeStyle Trivia Question

The Originator!
June 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Which 1 FreeStyle artist was known as the only artist for having an entire album dedicated to FreeStyle except for one song?? No other 1 artist has ever had that much FreeStyle in their album.

Need the name of the artist and album.

dathunder
June 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM
My guess is Giggles "He Loves Me.. He Loves Me Not"

The Originator!
June 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
That's a group. I'm talking about solo artists.

Good guess though.

Shorty Rok729
June 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Giggles is not a group

KENNY GUIDO
June 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
nyasia!!!!!!!!!!

every song on her album was freestyle.

Mixmaster Tony Rocca
June 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Noel....:) :) :)

The Originator!
June 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Giggles is not a group

It is a group since the original singer recently still considers herself the present owner of the Giggles name.

The Originator!
June 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM
nyasia!!!!!!!!!!

every song on her album was freestyle.

Nope. Her 1994 Self-titled CD contained some songs that were ALREADY out. So I would consider it, more or less, a semi-G-Hits CD.

The Originator!
June 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Noel....:) :) :)

Correct-da-mundo! You do know your shit. ;)

KENNY GUIDO
July 1st, 2006, 07:19 AM
Nope. Her 1994 Self-titled CD contained some songs that were ALREADY out. So I would consider it, more or less, a semi-G-Hits CD.

org, 98% of artists out there release a single or two before dropping an entire album, but that was not your trivia question. you asked Which 1 FreeStyle artist was known as the only artist for having an entire album dedicated to FreeStyle except for one song??

i did one better buy telling you that Nyasia had an entire album filled with freestyle songs, every single one.

no artist drops an album without releasing a single. its a fact.

KENNY GUIDO
July 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM

noel already had "silent morning" out for a few months before his album wa released.

The Originator!
July 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM
org, 98% of artists out there release a single or two before dropping an entire album, but that was not your trivia question. you asked Which 1 FreeStyle artist was known as the only artist for having an entire album dedicated to FreeStyle except for one song??

i did one better buy telling you that Nyasia had an entire album filled with freestyle songs, every single one.

no artist drops an album without releasing a single. its a fact.

Dude, Nyasia s full length LP had various songs that were from years back (did it's time on the charts before album was out) (released on vinyl) before it came out on CD, whereas Noel s "Silent Morning" was released the previous year (Summer 87) from the time the actual album came out (early 88). As with almost every new album, it was the only song that was out before the album was dropped into the market. That s a huge difference and (duh) of course a single is suppose to be out before an album is released.

Therefore, because the singles were ALREADY released and TRIED in the charts before the album was dropped, makes her 1994 self-titled CD a G-Hits album.

KENNY GUIDO
July 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM
your disecting it too much!

regardless, Nyasia had an entire album full of freestyle. It really doesnt matter when it came out. calling it a "greatest hits" album isnt quite so, considering that was her only album which contained her work. now, if she had had a previous album or two, then we can call it a "greatest hits" album.

Shorty Rok729
July 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM

regardless, Nyasia had an entire album full of freestyle. It really doesnt matter when it came out. calling it a "greatest hits" album isnt quite so, considering that was her only album which contained her work. now, if she had had a previous album or two, then we can call it a "greatest hits" album.

thats true..How can it be a greatest hits cd since it was her 1st CD.

The Originator!
July 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM

That's your truth. These songs were out for awhile. You know which one's I mean.

The Originator!
July 1st, 2006, 04:34 PM
thats true..How can it be a greatest hits cd since it was her 1st CD.

Artists release Greatest Hits albums even when they haven't had an entire album of themselves. YOU of all people should know this. Take for instance, Willie Valentin (as an artist). Willie never had an album out but always released tracks for his compilations. He then later released "Nothing But FreeStyle" which was a greatest hits CD since he basically put out most of the tracks that were previously released for his compilations. There were only a few songs on that "Nothing But Freestyle" that were new.

And Kenny, saying that Nyasia's self-titled CD is a full length FreeStyle CD is like saying that Willie's "Nothing But FreeStyle" album is a full length as well when it's in fact a greatest hits compilation of songs that were released in the past. It's true, they're all full length in FreeStyle but it ain't nothing new accept a few tracks. What does that count???......I don't want to hear the same shit. lol

ChuckD
July 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM
Ok, so let me ask this....

Madonna's debut cd came out near the end of 1983.

Her song "Everybody" was released in 1982, "Physical Attraction" and "Burning Up" begining of 1983, "Holiday" in middle of 1983, then the full length album dropped.

Does that make Madonna's debut, "Madonna", a greatest hits album?

KENNY GUIDO
July 1st, 2006, 06:26 PM

Her song "Everybody" was released in 1982, "Physical Attraction" and "Burning Up" begining of 1983, "Holiday" in middle of 1983, then the full length album dropped.

you go, chuck! ;)

KENNY GUIDO
July 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Artists release Greatest Hits albums even when they haven't had an entire album of themselves. YOU of all people should know this. Take for instance, Willie Valentin (as an artist). Willie never had an album out but always released tracks for his compilations. He then later released "Nothing But FreeStyle" which was a greatest hits CD since he basically put out most of the tracks that were previously released for his compilations. There were only a few songs on that "Nothing But Freestyle" that were new.

And Kenny, saying that Nyasia's self-titled CD is a full length FreeStyle CD is like saying that Willie's "Nothing But FreeStyle" album is a full length as well when it's in fact a greatest hits compilation of songs that were released in the past. It's true, they're all full length in FreeStyle but it ain't nothing new accept a few tracks. What does that count???......I don't want to hear the same shit. lol
hey, if it doesnt say "greatest hits" then it aint a greatest hits album!

Shorty Rok729
July 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
Songs released on singles..then come out on a album does not make it a greatest hits CD.

The Originator!
July 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM

Were the singles released in CD and/or vinyl format before the actual album dropped??

If so, then yes. Though the probability of the majority of the public is that they will never admit to that. Nor one who believes it is would speak in those terms (like me) but if one get's into the math of it to be detailed (like me) may use the "greatest hits" term or the equivalent to it. Fact is, Nyasia's album contains songs that were ALREADY released to the public in the past. To even count it as a full length FreeStyle effort of 'the times' (1994) is ridiculous. IM original O, it is a Semi-G-Hits CD because on the flip side, there are some songs on it that were never before released. That is a very fair and accurate observation.

ChuckD
July 2nd, 2006, 01:21 AM
Were the singles released in CD and/or vinyl format before the actual album dropped??

If so, then yes. Though the probability of the majority of the public is that they will never admit to that. Nor one who believes it is would speak in those terms (like me) but if one get's into the math of it to be detailed (like me) may use the "greatest hits" term or the equivalent to it.

Well, here are the full details.

1982: Sire records releases the single "Everybody", it hits the Top 10 Dance singles chart.

early 1983: Sire releases double sided "Physical Attrication/Burning Up" It also goes Top 10, video for "Burning Up" is made. Madonna signs to release full length CD.

Mid 1983: "Holiday" is released, crosses over to Top 20 pop singles. The full length CD is now released, and next single, "Borderline" is released.

Late 1983: "Borderline" flops overseas, so "Lucky Star" is rushed out to be pushed as a hit in Europe, and MTV gets a copy of the video, and airs it. Because of this, the "Like A Virgin" album release is pushed back, so that Sire can capilize on the success of "Lucky Star".

So, 3 singles were released before the cd came out, cd was releases shortly after 4th single was a hit, 5th and 6th singles released after the cd.

KENNY GUIDO
July 2nd, 2006, 06:25 AM

[quote]

I know the answer to this one but Im waiting for Chuck!

[quote=The Originator!]

IM original O, it is a Semi-G-Hits CD because on the flip side, there are some songs on it that were never before released. That is a very fair and accurate observation.

org, most songs on an album never get released!

let's take the beastie boys debut albums, "Licensed to ill".

"slow and low", which was written by RUN DMC, was a song on that album that was released a year before it.

"fight for your right", "no sleep till brooklyn", "paul revere" and "hold it now, hit it" were all singles from that album. the rest never made it on a 12" or single ("the new style', "posse if effect", "time to get ill"). so, do you call it a greatest hits album since they were never released? nope!

The Originator!
July 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well, here are the full details.
1982: Sire records releases the single "Everybody", it hits the Top 10 Dance singles chart.
early 1983: Sire releases double sided "Physical Attrication/Burning Up" It also goes Top 10, video for "Burning Up" is made. Madonna signs to release full length CD.
Mid 1983: "Holiday" is released, crosses over to Top 20 pop singles. The full length CD is now released, and next single, "Borderline" is released.
Late 1983: "Borderline" flops overseas, so "Lucky Star" is rushed out to be pushed as a hit in Europe, and MTV gets a copy of the video, and airs it. Because of this, the "Like A Virgin" album release is pushed back, so that Sire can capilize on the success of "Lucky Star".
So, 3 singles were released before the cd came out, cd was releases shortly after 4th single was a hit, 5th and 6th singles released after the cd.

So then yes. It is a semi-G-Hits CD as that of Nyasia's 1994 and Willie Valentin's "Nothing But FreeStyle".

The Originator!
July 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
org, most songs on an album never get released!

let's take the beastie boys debut albums, "Licensed to ill".

"slow and low", which was written by RUN DMC, was a song on that album that was released a year before it.

"fight for your right", "no sleep till brooklyn", "paul revere" and "hold it now, hit it" were all singles from that album. the rest never made it on a 12" or single ("the new style', "posse if effect", "time to get ill"). so, do you call it a greatest hits album since they were never released? nope!

Yes. This is why I use the term "semi-G-Hit's" because (1) that album might contain stuff that was unreleased and/or (2) that album might be the first "mainstream" album despite the fact that some songs on it were previously released in other format means, such as a maxi-single, single, or on a compilation.

Mixmaster Tony Rocca
July 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM

Not onlyis Noel my friend for almost 20 years...we worked together afew months ago in the studio and tobe quite honest, he IMO is one if not the only artist who is not a sellout to his talent.

The boy has talent, vision and is so concerned that good product comes out again in the dance market.

A true professional...:) :) :)

Mixmaster Tony Rocca
July 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM

Did not know cd's were invented in 1983...:eek: :eek: :eek:,...cause if they were I would have owned one. I remember seeing cd's starting in late 1986.

KENNY GUIDO
July 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
yea, they cost an arm and a leg back then. somewhere around $25 a cd.

ChuckD
July 3rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Did not know cd's were invented in 1983...:eek: :eek: :eek:,...cause if they were I would have owned one. I remember seeing cd's starting in late 1986.

It was Philips Industries, a Dutch-based electronics giant (known in the music world as owner of the PolyGram labels), that made the first announcement, on May 17, 1978. Working with Japan's Sony Corporation, Philips announced that they would have a marketable compact disc and appropriate hardware ready "in the early 1980s." That promise was kept on October 1, 1982, when the compact disc was introduced in Japan by CBS/Sony, with 112 different CD titles and a CD player (Sony's CDP-101). The last few months of 1982 were hectic, with Sony selling over 20,000 CD players and Hitachi also posting sales in the 6,000 per month range for their player. Prices for these initial players ran from about $700 to about $1000. The discs themselves, priced at about $15-20, could not be pressed fast enough to meet demand. Sony's research on who was buying the discs in Japan indicated it was young (20s, early 30s) men with a particular interest in sound quality. Perhaps it was this research that led others to believe, as the rest of the world looked on in curiosity to what was happening in Japan, that CDs would fill a niche for high quality sound enthusiasts and little else. By the end of 1982, CBS/Sony and Epic/Sony had issued 122 CD titles. Of these, 34 were classical, followed in number by jazz, rock, and pop, including 12 karaoke ("empty orchestra") titles to be used in singalongs (gadzooks, what hath CD wrought?). Among the titles were Billy Joel's Nylon Curtain and 52nd Street, Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity, and Michael Jackson's Off The Wall.

The stories about compact discs published in Billboard during early 1983 are fascinating. The lead story on January 29 has PolyGram mulling over how to package the CD in the US when it's released later in 1983, leaning toward the (in retrospect, ill-fated) "long box," the 6"x12" cardboard box which they convinced the industry to adopt at the RIAA (Record Industry Association of America) meeting the next week. (Many at the meeting were considering a 12"x12" box!) In February, Sony announced a "firm" suggested retail price of $1000 for their CD player and $16.98 for discs when they would be introduced later that year in the US. February 23, 1983 marked the debut of the compact disc in Europe, with PolyGram's Hans Gout noting that, "The sooner the Compact Disc replaces the conventional black vinyl LP, the better." By early March, Sony and CBS Records in the US were supplying free compact disc players and discs to selected radio stations here, mostly with Classical and Album-Oriented Rock formats. The March 12 issue of Billboard also notes that Capitol Record Shop, a Hartford, Connecticut, record store, had begun importing CDs from Japan and Europe, with 24 titles at a price tag of $24.95 each. At the time the owner was interviewed, he had only sold a total of one disc.

Several months of delays and anticipation dragged by, until in late June, 1983, CBS finally shipped the first CD "prepacks" to a select 35 accounts. Each prepack had a total of 12 titles, with no more than a total of 1000 prepacks altogether in the first shipment. Among the individual titles were Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Billy Joel's The Stranger, Michael Jackson's Thriller, and Toto's Toto IV. Other titles were jazz and classical. The CD era had begun in the United States.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/cdhist.html

PKO
July 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Here's one name the original C-Bank plus her 1st song?

KENNY GUIDO
July 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
jenny burton-1 more shot