freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > Freestyle Forums > Freestyle Dance Music Discussion

Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Discuss all aspects of Freestyle dance music.

Freestyle Forums: The Return of The New York Dance Radio Coalition

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM

FreestylePete is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to FreestylePete Send a message via Yahoo to FreestylePete
Cool The Return of The New York Dance Radio Coalition

Radio is just imploding and they are the ones doing it to themselves. I've said it before and I will say it again...deregulation has killed radio since "competition" has pretty much been thrown out the window.

What made the original 'KTU and Hot 103/97 so special was the fact that they went out there and BECAME the scene. They were NOT afraid to break out new records and dance fans, such as myself and others here, were looking forward to the Saturday Night mixes. With dereg, the "balls" (that's just the best way I can describe this..sorry mods.) have been yanked out and for the most part, everyone is scared of trying something new (and I say the most part because Hot 97/Emmis, as hip-hop, is still up with what is going on and I could only WISH that the current 'KTU would have done this.)

Sure, we could all go satellite for our needs. We could listen to the Internet streams that respect today's sound of dance. You could all do like I do and get the latest European charts and download the music into your digital mp3 player. But then again, there are those of us that are "traditionalists" and want our music heard on "free radio". TODAY'S music. 2006, not 1976.

I originally wasn't going to do this because of the other alternative choices such as satellite, Internet or iPods, but if we DO lose either 'KTU, 'NEW or BOTH, then we'll just have to restart the Metro New York Dance Radio Coalition. In THIS case, it actually wouldn't be about New York radio per se...but for dance music to gain some sort of RESPECT in this country and make it known about what WE want for a dance music station (whether it be New York, L.A., Cleveland, wherever). And I would think for the majority of us, we want our dance music CURRENT. No diss to the past, a little bit of disco, 80's freestyle is okay in small doses. Let's just not LIVE there.

Party 105.3 is the only station around the region that GIVES dance music the respect it deserves; if only the FCC would give the same respect back and let them boost their signal!

Believe me Pete, (and for that matter, Jeffrey, since I know you are just as irate about this as well..and all other dance music fans that frequent this board) it IS very frustrating. 'KTU playing "Margaritaville", 'NEW getting into Duran Duran.

In some ways I wish those two stations would just end the pain and flip already, that way WE can get back into the game and demand what WE want out of our next dance music station.

TONY SANTIAGO
Coordinator, Metro New York Dance Radio Coalition
(1993-1996) (2006?...we shall see)

This is in response to both NY Dance Stations playing 70-80s non dance pop hits. We need a station like WLIR was before they signed off where it was all cutting edge dance music after i believe 10 at nite but one that is 24/7. We need to live in the future not the past. I would love to hear comments from other board members.