freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > General Discussion > The Beginning - The Suggestion Box

The Beginning - The Suggestion Box Discuss our birth and evolution - where do we go from here? YOU play a large part in regards to decisions...

Freestyle Forums: DJ Lounge

Old November 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM

DJ Dee X-Man is on a distinguished road
Re: DJ Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaDeserveMoreCredit View Post
THAT WAS AT THE SPLURGE OF THE MOMENT PICKING TOO, IMAGINE IF I PUT MY HEART&SOUL INTO CHOOSING---I NORMALLY WOULD BUT THAT WAS (like us P.R.people would say) "A QUICKY"-LOL
Would you mind if I put your song selections in DEE mix?

DJ Dee X-Man

Old November 9th, 2006, 12:04 PM

YaDeserveMoreCredit is on a distinguished road

WOW i would be honered if you use my selection if you could send me a copy via-snailmail i would be really really happy Letting u use my selection also makes me happy cause now theirs apart of me you'll always remember!
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM
NYF's Power DJ

ceesil is a jewel in the roughceesil is a jewel in the roughceesil is a jewel in the roughceesil is a jewel in the rough

i am for a section like this, also it we can talk about the old clubs an the music those dj's used to play...
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM

DJ Coast is on a distinguished road

Wussup, brand new to this site, very glad I found it. It is great to know that there are so many Freestlye headz out there.

I have been spinning freestyle for 9 years now, but listening to it since 87', I was 9 years old when my cusin gave me my first mix tape. I grew up in Philly, and it was an every day part of life in my neighborhood of Kensington. House parties every weekend with live dj's spinning freestyle, cars driving by blasting "Louder than love", I only wish I was old enough to be on the club scene back then.

I have been working on a set all week, I am very picky when it comes to making a mix cd, each song has to work, back in the day I used hate when deejays who would throw in "filler" songs just to make a bunch of mix tapes. Remember there would only be a couple of real good tracks on each tape with alot of not so good stuff in between. I make these for the love and passion of the music, not to make 20 volumns just to sell,I would never put a beat song on a mix tape just to sell it.

Well heres whats on my set list for tonight:

Its called the BETTER DAYS, BY dJ cOAST

Into: The better days from Danny Tenaglias track ( I made a mix tape in 2000 with this intro, then a few years later I heard a mix cd from one of my favorite dj's Steve Lawler use the same intro, but I did it first..lol)...

1. Louder than love
2. Why did you quit on me
3. Trouble Love
4. Betrayal
5. Open your eyes
6. Just like the wind
7. My sweet love
8. Time after time
9. Take the time
10. Clear (by Cybertron)
11. Never too late (Miami version, comes out of Clear just plain sick)
12. So tell me tell me
13. Security
14. A night at the edit block, rare promo record

Can you imagine buying a mix tape back in the day with a set like I listed above, maybe its only becasue these are my favorites, I like the more underground ones, even though I enjoy the popular ones, but they are on every common mix cd out there, the same popular songs, I had to do something different.

I was up to 4:30 am last night and finally finished the first one, but two mixes were slightly off and I have to go at it again, plus adjust the sound levels on a few songs, as with some of these records. Plus I just got a new mixer, I actually have trim controls, (got the Pioneer 700). I put many hours into making this mix, no quick sets put together, put alot of time just trying to ge a set together, also no sudden endings to songs, or cutting a record short just to save space, they get played to the end, with mostly all beat matching, unless I feel otherwise, like Why did you quit on me really doesn't sound right no matter what song you try to come out of with it, but at the very last note of Louder than Love I shut it off and then start Why did you quit on me from the very beginning, sometimes it works better that way.

A dj forum would be sweet, us deejays can talk about stuff like this.

Also, I have an idea, if there is another dj reading this who would have these same records, put it together in the same order but mix it with your own style, than we can send each other a copy to see how our styles differ, that would be pretty cool?

What do you think? I'd like to hear how some of you dj's would do up a mix tape....

...djcoast......

Last edited by DJ Coast; May 4th, 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I had to change the set
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM

Anybody remember or heard of any of these Dj's from back in the day. I had many many mix tapes from these guys. DJ Fox, Shy, Polo, DJ Hollywood, and then there was the clear tapes with the printing on them, it said something like Hot productions, or something like that, some killer mix tapes from these guys.

In about 5 minutes I start my mix....I'll let ya's know how it came out...djc.
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:24 AM

I'm a little frustrated, after making 4 whole cd's, I just can't be happy with it. I had a mix fall aprt and the whole thing is runied. The one I made last night came out ok, but my copy of Misery is very low, and then the ending of the last record didn't fit, I had to take it out of the set and switch things around a bit. I should have the smooth touch back soon, plus this Pioneer mixer is way different. Its been a while since I went at it like this, gotta get it soon.

I would like to know from other dj's how much time you put into a set, do you just throw on records and see how it comes out, or do go crazy like me and keep switching things up until it suits your ears?..

...djc.

Last edited by DJ Coast; May 4th, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM

homerjay will become famous soon enough

Hey whats up DJ Coast. Sounds like a great mix you got there. Love the song selection.
Do you use all vinyl? Or do you used cds too?
Here's another spot you should post up any questions or thoughts about mixing and how other djs do their thing.
Btw, where at in Kensington did you grow up. I grew up at Boudinot and Cambria. I live up in the northeast now but miss the good ol days (of course Kensington was much safer then lol).
Oh, none of those djs sound familiar to me, but I do remember some dj shazam tapes, they always kicked ass.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM

HomeDJ, whats up brudda. Shazam, I forgot about him. Dude we probably know each other, I grew up on the same block for 25 years all the way till 2003 I lived at Hurley and Clearfield, I hung at Elken back in the day, remember stickball, pizza pretzels and Cristies, penny candy at JC's, those were the times. What school did you go to? My wife was from the Northeast, (Morrell park), I joined the Coast Guard to get the out of the neighborhood, it changed big time, its a shame to see it go down like that.

This is a crazy longshot, but by any chance did you used to go to house parties at Bobby Erickson's house on "D" St? If so then we defitely know each other. He used to spin vinyl on the 1200's down in his basement, all 3 floors would be shoulder to shoulder, with a line all the down the steps for the bathroom.

Oh and I spin strictly viny on a Pioneer DJM 700 mixer, I will never touch cd's...ever...stictly vinyl just like my e-mail address, send me en e-mail at strictlyvinyl@comcast.net.

take care bro,
greg panas
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Finally done

After switching things around one last time, I came home from work and finished it today.

Inro "The Better Days" by Danny Tenaglia
1. Louder than love-TKA
2. Why did you quit on me-Bernardo
3. Trouble Love-Delauio Twins
4. Betrayal-Spirit Matter
5. Open your eyes-Samuel
6. Just like the wind-NV
7. My sweet love-Renaldo
8. Time after time-Timmy T
9. Take the time-Lia Marquis
10. Clear (by Cybertron)
11. Never too late (Miami version, comes out of Clear just plain sick)
12. Security-The beat club (one of my favorites ever), my wifes too, the copy is getting a little staticky though...
13. So tell me tell me-Shavonne
14. A night at the edit block, rare promo record, serously sick underground mix record...so sick ya gots to hear to understand

Any dj who wants to trade a mix cd for a mix cd get in touch with me at strictlyvinyl@comcast.net

I love to hear other styles of mixing freestyle we all have our own. Some are so good I don't know how they do it. Its been a whie for me, after going to the Trenton concert the flame was regnited and now I am back into it.

....dJ Coast...cool:.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM

homerjay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Coast View Post
HomeDJ, whats up brudda. Shazam, I forgot about him. Dude we probably know each other, I grew up on the same block for 25 years all the way till 2003 I lived at Hurley and Clearfield, I hung at Elken back in the day, remember stickball, pizza pretzels and Cristies, penny candy at JC's, those were the times. What school did you go to? My wife was from the Northeast, (Morrell park), I joined the Coast Guard to get the out of the neighborhood, it changed big time, its a shame to see it go down like that.
This is a crazy longshot, but by any chance did you used to go to house parties at Bobby Erickson's house on "D" St? If so then we defitely know each other. He used to spin vinyl on the 1200's down in his basement, all 3 floors would be shoulder to shoulder, with a line all the down the steps for the bathroom.
Oh and I spin strictly viny on a Pioneer DJM 700 mixer, I will never touch cd's...ever...stictly vinyl just like my e-mail address, send me en e-mail at strictlyvinyl@comcast.net.
take care bro,
greg panas
not too far from my house. I went to Elkin for Kindergarten but went to visitation for 1-8, then ne catholic for two years, got kicked out, then new public for 2 years but cut all the damn time so I failed 11th grade twice then I went to ne prep to finish school.

And yeah I remember all that stuff, but you left out wireball. Good to see you got out of the hood in one piece and did something for yourself

No I didnt go to any of those house parties, I wish I had from what your telling me about it. Never knew him though (at least I think lol).