freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > General Discussion > General Discussion - The Lounge

General Discussion - The Lounge Open discussion. Take a moment to introduce yourself.

Freestyle Forums: Judge's Decision To Remove Christmas Tree Rankles Residents

Old December 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Luis Figo is on a distinguished road
Judge's Decision To Remove Christmas Tree Rankles Residents

Sounds like someone need to sing a Christmas carol

A jury of her peers may not like what a Toronto judge did at a provincial courthouse in the city.
Justice Marion Cohen ordered a Christmas tree that had stood for years in the lobby of the federal courthouse on Jarvis St. to be moved, because it's a Christian symbol that could be misinterpreted by those who follow other religions.

"I do not think it appropriate that when the clients of our court enter our courthouse, the first thing they see is a Christian symbol," she wrote.

"The message to the many non-Christians, who attend our court and are confronted with this symbol, is that they are not part of this institution. It does not belong to them. They are different."

Court workers are upset with the order and the tree has been taken to another location, where it's mostly out of sight.

"I don't think it's a terribly offensive tree," feels Susanne Larson. "It's cute, it's blue and it's got little candy canes on it."

Most wisely refused comment on the controversy, but members of the public weren't quite so reluctant to vent.

"I think it's wrong," condemns Margaret Edwards. "I think that absolutely you can have Christmas celebrations and open it up to other celebrations as well."

"I think Christmas is a great time for everyone whether you're Roman Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, whatever," adds another dissenter. "A Christmas tree is just a sign of friendship and goodwill to everyone."

"It promotes intolerance," gripes Adrian Narine. "I just think everybody should be able to express themselves and it's kind of going against your freedom of expression to block that Christmas tree."

Even Premier Dalton McGuinty waded into the issue - and he wasn't happy.

"I think that's unfortunate," he begins.

"We're not asking any one of the wonderful communities that make up our province to somehow abandon their traditions. What we're saying is let's share in those opportunities. Let's better understand those celebrations. So I think it reflects a mistaken understanding of what we're trying to do here."

A spokesman for the Attorney General also laments the decision but notes judges have the right to make those determinations in their own courthouses.

Perhaps the greatest irony in all this is that there are 14 trees displayed at Toronto Police Headquarters, there's the tall one at City Hall and three more at Queen's Park.

It's not the first time the seasonal symbol has caused controversy.

Four years ago, the city of Toronto was embroiled in a similar argument over a Christmas tree at Nathan Phillips Square. When local bureaucrats tried to be politically correct and change the name of it to a "holiday tree", it caused outrage.

Mayor Mel Lastman eventually became involved, introducing a motion to restore the name and admitting that well-meaning staff members had gone too far in the name of multiculturalism.

The Muslim Canadian Congress says even it's dismayed by the judge's decision. In the words of its president, "We should ban poltical correctness -- not the Christmas tree."

There's no immediate sign the judge intends to reverse her decision in this instance, despite the criticism.

Old December 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Supreme Freestyle Master
ADMINISTRATOR

KENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to KENNY GUIDO
Re: Judge's Decision To Remove Christmas Tree Rankles Residents

ya know what? fuck em! majority rules and Im sure there are 1000 times more christians than any other religion there.
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Luis Figo is on a distinguished road

I heard something that happend in The US as well Some rabbi was going to sue an airport ?

Thier is more Christian but you know what Kenny

If we keep this political correctness we are all damed

Good for what Bush is Doing
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Supreme Freestyle Master
ADMINISTRATOR

KENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to KENNY GUIDO

yes, they wanted to take down all the christmas decorations in the courthouse in washington dc and people got angry and the president stepped in and haulted the removal.