freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > Freestyle Forums > Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet)

Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet) This forum is for DJ Impact to do whatever he wants to do with it. He may also change the name. :)

Freestyle Forums: The New "BEATLOCK" feature

Old October 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM

DJ Alex Cruz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DJ Alex Cruz
Re: The New "BEATLOCK" feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by taezee View Post
I think its more then 50.00 bro bach to the future i think i saw it the other day for like 130.00 on amazon wow bro remember the new years party we did at your mother in laws house think it was 1999 time flies bro think it was the last time I tried to DJ lol
Sorry Jav, I got side tracked. Hell yeah I remember. It was 1998 and then we went to OBI's, and just for the record, I was spinning vinyl that night, Taezee can verify that. I had no idea that album was that expensive. I still have the original rappers delight that my cousin passed down to me back in the day. I wonder what that's worth? So you comin' out this weekend? The earlier the better, I have to work that night. Tell Lenny and Brian I said wassup.

Last edited by DJ Alex Cruz; October 30th, 2008 at 10:17 AM.

Old October 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Mixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Alex Cruz View Post
Let me ask you this Tony, what happens if they stop making vinyl? Are you going to stop DJing because you wont be considered a "real dj"? Little Louie Vega whose been DJing forever goes out with CDs. If you remember when he spun at the Copa for the freestyle concert he was using 3 CDJ's. You cant tell me he's not a "real DJ". Given, nothing can replace the sound of vinyl, but as time progresses, so does technology. When it comes to hip hop, I would rather vinyl because I have my stickers on there to tell me where I want to cut, but I CAN NOT do that with CDs. Today recording studios are not using DATs or reel to reels, everyone is using computers. Editors are no longer using razors and chopping blocks, everyone is using computers. I'm not here to judge other DJs, or whether they prefer vinyl to CDs, I'm not "Mr.X", I'm only here to to put my two cents in on both methods and I don't think you need to carry vinyl to be a "real dj". To me a "real DJ" is not what you choose to spin with, it's about your mixing skills, how you move the crowd, and how the crowd responds to you. It's about the love for music and that's all I'm going to say. Peace!

Hey AC..what's goin' on bro?

This is a tough topic...however with regard to vinyl, they still make it and I get my tunes on wax, not cd, so it can be done.

I still use DAT in my studio...however I understand what you are saying. As to Louie at the Copa event you are referring to...he was not good that day, and I know from personal experience you CANNOT duplicate on cd what you do with records, well that is speaking about myself because I play in my own unique style. To me the only thing I like about using a cd is the instant reverse feature thats it.

Being a real dj is the same a being a real artist, I can compare by example you telling Michelangelo to paint by numbers for a painting...catch what I am saying..you got to be real, to get the needle to the groove, a purist. Playing cd's makes everything easier, that including being a dj so much that now everybody thinks they can be a dj using cd's.

I think you understand what I am saying but your heart/soul is not...but I could be wrong.

I am a purist, a Michelangelo, a real dj with real history..hence I use and will always use vinyl otherwise it is time to hang it up. There is alot more to talk about if you want to talk it about, give me your number and we can discuss it further.

All the best..
#1 Arbitron Rated Radio DJ
#1 Dance Mix Show in NYC History
MIX 102.7FM - NYC

www.DJtonyrocca.com
www.youtube.com/amrjr007[/YOUTUBE]
Facebook Fanpage with mix sets for you to enjoy:
http://www.facebook.com/DJTONYROCCA?...9091300?ref=mf
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Tony Rocca View Post
Hey AC..what's goin' on bro?
This is a tough topic...however with regard to vinyl, they still make it and I get my tunes on wax, not cd, so it can be done.
I still use DAT in my studio...however I understand what you are saying. As to Louie at the Copa event you are referring to...he was not good that day, and I know from personal experience you CANNOT duplicate on cd what you do with records, well that is speaking about myself because I play in my own unique style. To me the only thing I like about using a cd is the instant reverse feature thats it.
Being a real dj is the same a being a real artist, I can compare by example you telling Michelangelo to paint by numbers for a painting...catch what I am saying..you got to be real, to get the needle to the groove, a purist. Playing cd's makes everything easier, that including being a dj so much that now everybody thinks they can be a dj using cd's.
I think you understand what I am saying but your heart/soul is not...but I could be wrong.
I am a purist, a Michelangelo, a real dj with real history..hence I use and will always use vinyl otherwise it is time to hang it up. There is alot more to talk about if you want to talk it about, give me your number and we can discuss it further.
All the best..
What's up Tone,

I totally hear you and respect you for keeping it old school. But we can all still be Michaelangelos, we're just using different brushes that's all. Wow I haven't heard the needle to the groove saying in a long time. Have you ever used the Pioneer CDJs? Besides not being vinyl, what did you not like about them? You still need to beat match with them, but they just have more features than Technics. Although with Technics, there is a switch you can add to make it play backwards if you like that feature. This is sort of like using power tools or be like the Amish and use hand tools. At home, my setup still has 2 Technic 1200's with 2 Pioneer CDJs. I'm still diggin' in the crates, but only at home. If you would like to familiarize yourself more with the CDJ's to see what I'm talking about, you're more than welcome to come over bro. Believe me bro, I miss the good old days, but alot of clubs have converted to CD and even mobile DJ companies. Shoot, before the Pionner EFX500, if I wanted to create a flange, you needed to have two copies of every record. Now I can filter, echo, flange, kill the highs or lows all with one piece of equipment. I still rock the old school headphone though. I have a custom stick headphone with an LED light. Which makes me wonder if you still use Koss headphones. I'm trying to get my hands on a pair of those. I hope you don't think that there's any animosity here, because I completely respect you for keeping it real bro. They always used to say "real DJs do it with 12 inches". The only thing I truly hate are the DJs that never heard of vinyl or know what a turntable is. I definitely got your back on that one.
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Mixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really nice

Quote:
What's up Tone,
I totally hear you and respect you for keeping it old school. But we can all still be Michaelangelos, we're just using different brushes that's all. Wow I haven't heard the needle to the groove saying in a long time. Have you ever used the Pioneer CDJs? Besides not being vinyl, what did you not like about them? You still need to beat match with them, but they just have more features than Technics. Although with Technics, there is a switch you can add to make it play backwards if you like that feature. This is sort of like using power tools or be like the Amish and use hand tools. At home, my setup still has 2 Technic 1200's with 2 Pioneer CDJs. I'm still diggin' in the crates, but only at home. If you would like to familiarize yourself more with the CDJ's to see what I'm talking about, you're more than welcome to come over bro. Believe me bro, I miss the good old days, but alot of clubs have converted to CD and even mobile DJ companies. Shoot, before the Pionner EFX500, if I wanted to create a flange, you needed to have two copies of every record. Now I can filter, echo, flange, kill the highs or lows all with one piece of equipment. I still rock the old school headphone though. I have a custom stick headphone with an LED light. Which makes me wonder if you still use Koss headphones. I'm trying to get my hands on a pair of those. I hope you don't think that there's any animosity here, because I completely respect you for keeping it real bro. They always used to say "real DJs do it with 12 inches". The only thing I truly hate are the DJs that never heard of vinyl or know what a turntable is. I definitely got your back on that one.

AC..no animosity at all...

I have alot of hand on my records when I spin and I literally position the needel on specific parts of the vinyl which you cannot do with a cdj. I have used them before but they are not conducive to my 4 1200's style of mixing.

I am very very fast with the vinyl manipulation and cdj will never allow me to be that quick..I do much more than beat match...trust me if I show you even you would say "Holy Shit".....that holy shit factor is not there with cdjs, at least for me because when I am working the mix I really am working...its fun to watch actually...

As far as headphones..been using akg 141's since 1986, have 3 sets of them a set of akg 242 all these are studio reference headphones. Just got akg's new pro dj headphones..like them alot, also have a brand new stick, never use it because I mix with both hands.

b good my brother
#1 Arbitron Rated Radio DJ
#1 Dance Mix Show in NYC History
MIX 102.7FM - NYC

www.DJtonyrocca.com
www.youtube.com/amrjr007[/YOUTUBE]
Facebook Fanpage with mix sets for you to enjoy:
http://www.facebook.com/DJTONYROCCA?...9091300?ref=mf

Last edited by Mixmaster Tony Rocca; October 30th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Tony Rocca View Post
AC..no animosity at all...

I have alot of hand on my records when I spin and I literally position the needel on specific parts of the vinyl which you cannot do with a cdj. I have used them before but they are not conducive to my 4 1200's style of mixing.

I am very very fast with the vinyl manipulation and cdj will never allow me to be that quick..I do much more than beat match...trust me if I show you even you would say "Holy Shit".....that holy shit factor is not there with cdjs, at least for me because when I am working the mix I really am working...its fun to watch actually...

As far as headphones..been using akg 141's since 1986, have 3 sets of them a set of akg 242 all these are studio reference headphones. Just got akg's new pro dj headphones..like them alot, also have a brand new stick, never use it because I mix with both hands.

b good my brother
I cant disagree with you there bro. Now you've even got me curious to see your mixing style, especially if you're using 4 1200's. I never needed more than 3. You definitely don't need CDs. To this day, I think even the DMC competitions are still done with vinyl. Turntabilism can never be done with CDs, NEVER.
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM

DJ Coast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But we can all still be Michaelangelos, we're just using different brushes that's all. Shoot, before the Pionner EFX500, if I wanted to create a flange, you needed to have two copies of every record. Now I can filter, echo, flange, kill the highs or lows all with one piece of equipment. The only thing I truly hate are the DJs that never heard of vinyl or know what a turntable is. I definitely got your back on that one.
Good point on the different brush. I agree so much about the new generation of deejays who never even touched vinyl. I believe all deejays should at least start out on the tables to know and understand the meaning and the roots of deejaying. For me there is no other option. Vinyl will always be produced, so I have nothing to worry about there. I will always be a turntable dj, if anything I might add a CDJ to my setup. Also I have the Pioneer DJM700, its sick what this thing is capable, it does everything you mentioned above, and then some. I must admit, I was slightly overwhelmed when I first got it, I kinda felt like it wasn't natural, and almost contiplated selling it, its gonna take me a while to get used to the effects, but I'm still using the effects on vinyl.

I am in the miltary now so my mobile dj business took a back seat the past few years. I would take well over 500 records to a gig (all in milk crates...lol) plus two people just to carry the coffin. The turntables were part of the show. People just love to see a dj work the tables, doesn't even compare to using CD's, its part of the entertainment on top of keeping the dancefloor packed. The tables draw a crowd. I only did select gigs, I wasn't the normal average joe dj who did weddings, birthday parties, ect. I wouldn't even be able to do one, I would never be able to play the "Chicken dance" or the Maccarana"...lol.....I only played freestyle, old school rap, house, and trance. My #1 mission in life was to have the dancefloor packed, if not, I took it personal and dug in the crates to bring em back. If I was a mobile dj, I would never do it, (ever), I would use cd's, but then to me that would just be a job, I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of it. If I was to get back onto the bar/club scene, it would be strictly vinyl only. Right now them days are kinda over for me as I am stuck here on an island in Alaska.... The most happening bar here has a dj who uses two IPODS.....now thats sad...

After this tour I plan on going right back to the East Coast where I belong, anywhere between Philly (hometown) and Boston. You guys would not believe how many people I work with that are from all over the country have no idea what Freestyle music is, most never heard of it. That makes me love it even more as it means our music is that much more special to us few who know about it....I always say "those who know...know"....wow I just went on a long a$$ tangient......take care fellas...djc.
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM

RobfromCanada is on a distinguished road

I am the most old school of em all but here's my opinion.
DJ CULTURE TODAY IS JUST STUPID!!! Everyone and their mother is a "dj" today.

I have no problem with the guy who has ripped his vinyl to cds and is playing off those. The older i get the more audiphile oriented ive become. I want perfection in my vinyl, I clean every record I buy, I ensure that my carts are tracking properly, etc etc. So from the perspective of saving your vinyl from cue burn, no problem.
I dont have a problem with the serato people playing their files off a laptop so theyre not lugging milk crates.
Both cd tt's & serato type gear still have someone controlling the mix with cueing dropping and beat matching. (From what i know)

What bothers me is the goofs that download their "beats" illegally, then front like they all that having the best music. Give me a break! They don't know what beat digging' is all about. There's nothing more rewarding than getting dirty looking though records and finding something you want, and spending money to do so.

What also really annoys me is that filter effect from the mixer that everyone uses... it drives me up the wall.

I can accept that times have changed and technology along with it... but know what dj'ing is really about, have the skills to back up the shortcuts, and support music artists properly.
:-)
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

Damm, looks like I missed much of this thread until now ...

To keep things short, I can respect CD, Serato DJ's to a point as long as Tempo lock is never used. Bad enough there is already "smart loop" to get them out of jams where a Vinyl DJ would have to get hard core and work some magic under those same circumstances.
Lets face it, anyone could scratch with CD's and Serato and not even have to worry about a skip, or anything else ... Spin that shit backward as hard as you can ... Don't worry, those CDJ's will automatically catch the beat and make you sound perfect .... LOL

Vinyl DJ's that can actually mix get the most respect.
Other DJ's get some respect when and only if they "beat up" on their own using their own ear and hands.

With all that said, I understand what Alex said about how the times will definetly change and moving around vinyl is really crazy at this point in time.
I mix for me so I don't worry about moving around. However I can understand how that would be a huge concern for others.

It is what it is these days. I just hate punks who let the equipment mix for them because they can't actually mix themselves ...
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:47 AM

homerjay will become famous soon enough

Wow this thread has me cracking up. You guys sounds like a bunch of middle aged men who feel threatened to lose their job to some straight out of college punk with a degree and no experience lol.

First I'd like to say that I wish I had the equipment and collection that you guys have. I like most people who use computers to mix wish we could afford it and have been collecting all that vinyl for the past 20+ years. But not all of us were able to. I had a small collection back in the day and one used turntable I bought with a pitch control and another record player that was attached to the stereo with 8 track and a 35 dollar realistic mixer, thats all I could afford. What I chose to do at the time was to buy every 12" I could that came out, up until my collection was stolen and well then I just gave up. But while I had it I tried my best to mix and did what I could given what I had. Just like today. I can't afford to get the equipment I want (do plan on getting some cdj sometime in the near future though). But I do mixes on my computer.

There are things that you can do with mixing software that you just simply can't do with turntables or cdjs. I wish I could do what some of you guys do as far as spinning vinyl, but I can't. Despite what you think, most people would rather hear a wicked mix that was made with software than a basic mix with simple blends no matter how much skill you have. Don't get me wrong, when I hear a mix that I know was on vinyl, I appreciate it much more and enjoy it more than someone who would throw the same mix out there using a computer or even cdjs. And there is def a better feeling of accomplishment when throwing one of those mixes together, but most people just don't appreciate it. But technology is getting better and better and the software is getting better. Soon you will be able to mix some crazy shyt with editz on the fly and have it sound like you spent days on it. Just imagine how shit is gonna be 15-20 years from now.

Now I don't call myself a Dj nor will I ever unless until I feel I'm good enough with the cdjs when I eventually get them. But if I need to mix live I can, and it takes a lot more than just throwing some song in an order and letting the computer do it for you. When I go to a party or whatever I'm at and a dj comes with his laptop and hard drive, I have no problem with that. But what I don't like is when they don't even mix, they just play one song, then another, then another. If your gonna call yourself a dj you need to be able to at least mix. This statement here says it all

Quote:
To me a "real DJ" is not what you choose to spin with, it's about your mixing skills, how you move the crowd, and how the crowd responds to you. It's about the love for music
I totally agree with that. Know your music, mix good and move the crowd.

All I'm saying is I would stop being so stubborn and at least face it that this is what is in the future, it's not gonna be vinyl. Sorry.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay View Post
Wow this thread has me cracking up. You guys sounds like a bunch of middle aged men who feel threatened to lose their job to some straight out of college punk with a degree and no experience lol.
First I'd like to say that I wish I had the equipment and collection that you guys have. I like most people who use computers to mix wish we could afford it and have been collecting all that vinyl for the past 20+ years. But not all of us were able to. I had a small collection back in the day and one used turntable I bought with a pitch control and another record player that was attached to the stereo with 8 track and a 35 dollar realistic mixer, thats all I could afford. What I chose to do at the time was to buy every 12" I could that came out, up until my collection was stolen and well then I just gave up. But while I had it I tried my best to mix and did what I could given what I had. Just like today. I can't afford to get the equipment I want (do plan on getting some cdj sometime in the near future though). But I do mixes on my computer.
There are things that you can do with mixing software that you just simply can't do with turntables or cdjs. I wish I could do what some of you guys do as far as spinning vinyl, but I can't. Despite what you think, most people would rather hear a wicked mix that was made with software than a basic mix with simple blends no matter how much skill you have. Don't get me wrong, when I hear a mix that I know was on vinyl, I appreciate it much more and enjoy it more than someone who would throw the same mix out there using a computer or even cdjs. And there is def a better feeling of accomplishment when throwing one of those mixes together, but most people just don't appreciate it. But technology is getting better and better and the software is getting better. Soon you will be able to mix some crazy shyt with editz on the fly and have it sound like you spent days on it. Just imagine how shit is gonna be 15-20 years from now.
Now I don't call myself a Dj nor will I ever unless until I feel I'm good enough with the cdjs when I eventually get them. But if I need to mix live I can, and it takes a lot more than just throwing some song in an order and letting the computer do it for you. When I go to a party or whatever I'm at and a dj comes with his laptop and hard drive, I have no problem with that. But what I don't like is when they don't even mix, they just play one song, then another, then another. If your gonna call yourself a dj you need to be able to at least mix. This statement here says it all
I totally agree with that. Know your music, mix good and move the crowd.
All I'm saying is I would stop being so stubborn and at least face it that this is what is in the future, it's not gonna be vinyl. Sorry.
I understand what you are saying Homer but, I just want to put my 2 cents in on what I bolded out.

I don't think anyone feels threatened about losing their job. I would say most old school DJ's have real jobs that pay the bills. It's not threatening to hear DJ's mix that couldn't even hold a simple beat together on their own using T-tables. It's more of a disapointment then anything if you could understand where I'm coming from. There isn't any "passing down" to the younger generation of skills. Their skills are handed to them in a box. They buy their skills, they don't obtain them the way we did. That is just a disapointment to see that pre-made purchased skills can just be handed to the underserving.

As far as wicked mixes made with software. We'll IMO the general person doesn't appreciate that nearly as much as you think. They know a computer is to credit and don't look at it as that big of a deal. It's a bit different seeing or knowing a real person is creating that through skills he has obtained.
As far as easy blends, that is not all of us. For example, in my last mix I posted, I threw in 4 vinyl records into one backround beat. At times 3 turn tables were heard at once ...

Last but not least, if a DJ walks in with a lap-top and hard drive, why is he even there ? Why don't the person who is hosting the party just play some good CD's on their stereo ? It's the same difference. Or why doesn't that person just stream some good dance music from their own lap-top ?
What is the point of a DJ being there when the host could accomplish the same exact thing without paying for a DJ ..... The point of a DJ is to provide a service that your general person can not do themselves ... If a DJ is going to just use his lap-top to basically re-create a mix that one probably already has him/herself on CD or MP3, then why bother with the DJ.

Last edited by BloomfieldAveCruiser; February 23rd, 2009 at 02:18 PM.