freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > Freestyle Forums > Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet)

Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet) This forum is for DJ Impact to do whatever he wants to do with it. He may also change the name. :)

Freestyle Forums: The New "BEATLOCK" feature

Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM

homerjay will become famous soon enough
Re: The New "BEATLOCK" feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomfieldAveCruiser View Post
I understand what you are saying Homer but, I just want to put my 2 cents in on what I bolded out.
I don't think anyone feels threatened about losing their job. I would say most old school DJ's have real jobs that pay the bills. It's not threatening to hear DJ's mix that couldn't even hold a simple beat together on their own using T-tables. It's more of a disapointment then anything if you could understand where I'm coming from. There isn't any "passing down" to the younger generation of skills. Their skills are handed to them in a box. They buy their skills, they don't obtain them the way we did. That is just a disapointment to see that pre-made purchased skills can just be handed to the underserving.
I wasn't saying any of you felt that your jobs were threatened, it just reminded me of some older corporate people who did feel that way.

And I do understand what what you are saying as far as seeing people with no dj skills just proclaiming to be a dj.

As far as passing down well there's nothing you can really do about that. There are only certain trades that "passing down" really takes place anymore. Technology has changed so much for so many, including djs. I'm a land surveyor and surveying just isnt done the same way it has been done for centuries. It's done with mostly gps now and someone who has spent so long doing it certain ways, either has to learn the technology or just retire. Sure it can still be done but just not as practical. Just using that as an example

Quote:
As far as wicked mixes made with software. We'll IMO the general person doesn't appreciate that nearly as much as you think. They know a computer is to credit and don't look at it as that big of a deal. It's a bit different seeing or knowing a real person is creating that through skills he has obtained.
As far as easy blends, that is not all of us. For example, in my last mix I posted, I threw in 4 vinyl records into one backround beat. At times 3 turn tables were heard at once ...
The statement I made wasn't specific enough for what I was trying to say. I do think that if you're somewhere live and see a dj spinning 4,3 or even 2 turntables and tearing it up, at least playing some great jams with great blends, yes people do appreciate that more, and alot people would appreciate a mix even if it was heard on the radio or something. But most people don't know what it's made with, and they just love hearing a good mix. I hear well known established djs who also use some type of program with their mixes, and they just kick ass. But if I hear a kick ass mix done by turntables I appreciate that too, it all depends on what I'm in the mood to hear.

It's not as easy as you think making a good mix with a program. It's easy to make a basic mix but I like to get creative (as well as others) and it don't just line everything up where you wish it would. No this doesn't require any "dj" skills (that's why I dont call myself a dj) but to be good at it you do need to know your music and what goes with what as well as have a creative mind and a lot of patience. If I had to pick one to be great at, it would be turntable skills, but since that's not an option, I'll continue to try and improve at what I can do with a program.

Quote:
Last but not least, if a DJ walks in with a lap-top and hard drive, why is he even there ? Why don't the person who is hosting the party just play some good CD's on their stereo ? It's the same difference. Or why doesn't that person just stream some good dance music from their own lap-top ?
What is the point of a DJ being there when the host could accomplish the same exact thing without paying for a DJ ..... The point of a DJ is to provide a service that your general person can not do themselves ... If a DJ is going to just use his lap-top to basically re-create a mix that one probably already has him/herself on CD or MP3, then why bother with the DJ.
If you were at this block party I was at last year you woulda flipped out. I don't know how much this guy got paid but he shows up with a computer that looked like this computer (same color too) and just used windows media player lol. I couldnt believe my eyes.

But that different than someone showing up with a laptop and hard drive. If he does it right it won't be nearly the same as just throwing some mixes on or just throwing the tracks on a playlist. But sadly, it isnt done right all the time.

This is way too long for me to proofread so I'm just gonna post it, sorry if something dont make sense, I'll try to fix it lol.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

LOL, it all made sense ...

I was cracking up at that picture of the computer .... Can't believe the guy used windows media player ...

So you are making your own tracks with the software you use ?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
LOL, it all made sense ...
I was cracking up at that picture of the computer .... Can't believe the guy used windows media player ...
So you are making your own tracks with the software you use ?
Yeah, he lugged this ancient piece of crap that was the same color as the ceiling of the smoke room at this place I used to work at. I almost felt bad for him cause he brought the system too but the block already had a dj living there who was jamming all day for free with a better system. But the block captain for whatever reason decided to go with someone else. I talked to a guy for a while and he was a pretty cool guy, but everybody was already diggin the other guy and then when he first set up only one half of the block could hear him, so then the other dj said he could hook up his stuff in front of his house and use his electric, and put his music back on till the dj moved his stuff across the street.

Anyways, I make mixes with this program. They started off basic but now I try to get creative, but still got a lot of room for improvement.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:45 PM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

Poor guy .... LOL

So your software isn't track making. It's would be something like Bad Boy Joe would use . Not sure if you heard any of his CD's ..

What ever you do, don't let a common beat ride in the backround the whole time. I heard some mixes like that. One steady beat in the backround always going throughout the mix ... It just doesn't sound right ...
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM

No it's not beat making. And I have heard very little of Bad Boy Joe.

I agree about having one beat go the whole time. I do like to use other beats for each song sometimes and did one where I rode the beat for about 8 minutes or so but thats as far as I went with that. Later tonite when I get on my other computer, I'll pm you a link that you can listen to a short one.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay View Post
No it's not beat making. And I have heard very little of Bad Boy Joe.

I agree about having one beat go the whole time. I do like to use other beats for each song sometimes and did one where I rode the beat for about 8 minutes or so but thats as far as I went with that. Later tonite when I get on my other computer, I'll pm you a link that you can listen to a short one.
Sure, I'm definetly interested in hearing something you put together !

Check out "DJ Boom Boom" (Volume 2) freestyle .... It's a very good CD and its obviously made with software .. Volume 2 is the best. Volume 1 is good but not nearly as intense ...
After you give this a listen, your ideas will really start to flow ...

DJ Boom Boom is Bad Boy Joe before he was called Bad Boy Joe ... Bad Boy Joe probably can't really mix to save his life but he is a master at working the software edits and he has very good ideas as far as laying out a whole mix.

Last edited by BloomfieldAveCruiser; February 23rd, 2009 at 07:03 PM.