freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > Freestyle Forums > Freestyle Dance Music Discussion

Freestyle Dance Music Discussion Discuss all aspects of Freestyle dance music.

Freestyle Forums: Sirius Officially Sucks!

Old November 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
The Boss
ADMINISTRATOR

Sal Collaziano will become famous soon enoughSal Collaziano will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Sal Collaziano Send a message via AIM to Sal Collaziano Send a message via MSN to Sal Collaziano Send a message via Yahoo to Sal Collaziano
Re: Sirius Officially Sucks!

http://www.sirius.com/pdf/channelguide.pdf

Old November 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM

JRT will become famous soon enough

They really screwed the pooch on this one (pardon the Pun).

I'm an XM subscriber.

This merging of the channels has been badly handled. I think the guys in charge of Sirius XM really forget that this is pay radio. People pay for it like cable. You don't change an entire lineup without (a) doing good research and (b) Informing your customers!

There were rumors of these changes for weeks. I don't know how it was with Sirius but XM would always let the subs know about a month in advance about changes. Now, on regular FM, sometimes format changes happen suddenly with no warning, but that's usually one station and FM is free. Maybe they were trying to avoid people bitching until after it happened, which sometimes is a business strategy.

I'm not sure why they removed the "classic dance" channels, especially since a form of them were on both services. It does look like they are going to put on shows on the 80s on 8 and 70s on 7 channel on Saturday nights. (XM's Chrome always skewed a little too much on Disco and not enough on the Dance music from 1984-2000--they had speciality shows but no heart was in them--they needed better format shows)

It's not just Dance that hurt. They went from having 5 Spanish Language stations to 2. Some favorites have been cut from both services, etc. Old-School Rap was cut. The "Soul Street" of XM is no longer Motown-era. People are most mad about the "one artist channels", especially the stuff like Led Zepplin and AC/DC which displaces somebody's favorite channels.
That's pure payola, pure and simple--the record companies are doing that to coincide with record releases, at the expense of what the people would really want to hear.

I hope they don't screw it up. SatRad is in trouble because ever since the merger the Stock price has been dipping for weeks. It went from $4 to .25 cents over the past six months. If they aren't careful, they'll have to file for chapter 11.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Putana has a spectacular aura aboutPutana has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I told them I was canceling when my contract ends in the begining of the year and it didnt seem to phase the operator in the least.
Don't worry...as soon as you actually CALL IN to CANCEL is when they'll offer you a month (or 3) free...or at the very least a discount. I worked for Dish Network Customer Service a million years ago & "threatening" to cancel (especially when your account shows your "locked in") doesn't do jack...its when you say "cancel me" that they start kissing your ass.

You would also think given the way the market is & everyone penny pinching nowadays, they'd leave things BE until the consumer confidence picks up....stupid move by Satellite Radio.

Last edited by Putana; November 14th, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Metro NY Dance Radio Coal has a spectacular aura aboutMetro NY Dance Radio Coal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
They really screwed the pooch on this one (pardon the Pun).
I'm an XM subscriber.
This merging of the channels has been badly handled. I think the guys in charge of Sirius XM really forget that this is pay radio. People pay for it like cable. You don't change an entire lineup without (a) doing good research and (b) Informing your customers!
There were rumors of these changes for weeks. I don't know how it was with Sirius but XM would always let the subs know about a month in advance about changes. Now, on regular FM, sometimes format changes happen suddenly with no warning, but that's usually one station and FM is free. Maybe they were trying to avoid people bitching until after it happened, which sometimes is a business strategy.
I'm not sure why they removed the "classic dance" channels, especially since a form of them were on both services. It does look like they are going to put on shows on the 80s on 8 and 70s on 7 channel on Saturday nights. (XM's Chrome always skewed a little too much on Disco and not enough on the Dance music from 1984-2000--they had speciality shows but no heart was in them--they needed better format shows)
It's not just Dance that hurt. They went from having 5 Spanish Language stations to 2. Some favorites have been cut from both services, etc. Old-School Rap was cut. The "Soul Street" of XM is no longer Motown-era. People are most mad about the "one artist channels", especially the stuff like Led Zepplin and AC/DC which displaces somebody's favorite channels.
That's pure payola, pure and simple--the record companies are doing that to coincide with record releases, at the expense of what the people would really want to hear.
I hope they don't screw it up. SatRad is in trouble because ever since the merger the Stock price has been dipping for weeks. It went from $4 to .25 cents over the past six months. If they aren't careful, they'll have to file for chapter 11.
Let me answer a couple of posts in here before I get to JRT....

Kenny, it does NOT surprise me that customer service ops over at Sirius and XM aren't "caring". I was getting screwed by Sirius whereas even though I cancelled the service, I was still getting charged. Apparently when they cancelled my car account, the money was "transferred" over to an Internet only account without telling me! So when I wanted that charged removed, they told me it was NON-refundable (the whole story can be found on the coalition blog). When I told them that I would be notifiying dance music fans of this, they were like "Good for you!". And that's what I did!

Putana, I've already received the snail mail from "XM" doing a three month "discount" to sign up. I honestly think Sirius XM is banking on getting new subscribers that had NO idea regarding how things were pre-merger, therefore "branding" this move as "exciting". For those of us that have been around, we realize we're getting screwed.

NOW to JRT ..... unfortunately with this merger, Sirius is treating this as if they "bought" XM, which is why you didn't get a heads up from XM regarding the changes since Sirius is mainly "running the operation" in their "style". Now you have TWO dance stations that sound pretty similar (I would call "Area" the "minor leagues" while BPM is "the majors".) Yet there was an audience that wanted contemporary dance but wasn't quite ready for what they feel is TOO strong ("The Beat" fans).

Of course the whacking of BOTH disco/classic dance stations made NO sense. I would have thought the two would have merged because even within there were programming philosophy differences. "The Strobe" sounded like "92/KTU meets Hot 103/97" whereas "Chrome" sounded like "92/KTU meets 98.7 Kiss/BLS from the early 80's). It's as I've said, for those of us in New York, we are lucky to have a 'KTU and to a smaller extent, Pulse 87 regarding the classic freestyle. But for that guy living in Tulsa, Oklahoma...where they don't have a terrestrial station like a KTU or a "Movin" format, their musical "lifeline" was cut off totally.

And while teens have ABANDONED radio for the iPod and Internet streams, I really can't see a 40 - 50+ year old person wanting to go through the trouble of going online and searching out streams, let alone downloading stuff onto an iPod.

It was a royal screwup all around. I don't know how far we'll get from doing a letter writing campaign, but it's better than doing nothing at all.
Check out the latest club/artist happenings for the weekend on - http://twitter.com/NYDanceMusic
New Music Spotlight (Sundays at 6PM /Eastern - US with a rebroadcast Fridays at 4PM/Eastern - US) on http://www.partyradiousa.net/
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Supreme Freestyle Master
ADMINISTRATOR

KENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to KENNY GUIDO

I will be definetly be canceling next month. I can live without howard stern.
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Banned

ronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond reputeronnie d has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ronnie d

yhea fuck that the strobe was the shit, i liked danny terrio
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Kid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't listened to the radio (free or satellite) in almost a decade and a half. My music collection is mad deep so I don't miss it. I guess I'm still stuck in 1994 when it wasn't "cool" anymore to listen to the radio.
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Kid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of lightKid Heartbreak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
well, at least we have 3 stations in new york that play freestyle. I am saddened for those outside the listening area that relied on sirius or xm for their freestyle however.
Y'all have 3 STATIONS that play freestyle? I can't even imagine one station in Chicago playing freestyle. It's been like that for the longest now. And no, playing an old school flashback once in a great while doesn't count. In the CHI, if you wanna hear freestyle, you better go cop yourself a mix CD from one of the few underground music stores left (they're dropping like flies as the music industry altogether seems to be over).
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Supreme Freestyle Master
ADMINISTRATOR

KENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura aboutKENNY GUIDO has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to KENNY GUIDO

yes, pulse 87.7, KTU and Party 105 all play freestyle. of course not everybody can listen get all 3 stations. I live in Nassau county and im in the best spot whereas I can pick them all up perfectly. If I drive one town east to amityville in suffolk county, I begin to lose pulse 87 a bit. if I move one county west to queens, I lost party 105/101.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM

KDM7000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to KDM7000 Send a message via Yahoo to KDM7000

Terrestrial radio and radio being all about the people and playing what's REALLY good is so old school. I hate to say it, but as much as I'm fascinated with radio and music, I must say this:

TIME TO MOVE ON .............to internet radio!

Without getting into full detail about the things I've heard that are coming, I'll just say this - INTERNET RADIO is (or should be) the future of radio.... We live in a society where everyone always waits for everyone else to tell them what's hot and what's big before jumping on it, so this is why FREE Internet Radio is still unheard of by many people while people are (and have been) jumping on Satellite and HD radio because that's what they are told and brainwashed to get into next. It may take a while, but eventually people are going to realize that Internet radio is the way to go, and VERY SOON this will become more convenient with the modernization of technology and things that are soon on the way.

I still can't believe how many people I talk to who have no idea what Internet Radio is or never even knew it existed, but at the same time I shouldn't even be surprised because "everyone else" haven't said it's cool or the next big thing yet. What's being pushed now is HD and Satellite Radio, and the same way people are tricked into getting the flu shot or everyone is brainwashed to have the same top 40 songs in their Ipods when there are millions of other songs in the world, they are aslo getting tricked into believing HD and Satellite Radio is such a great thing. It may be good to some extent, but there's still so much more out there that Satellite Radio doesn't even provide.

I would recommend jumping on to internet radio NOW, exploring it, and finding what you like BEFORE everyone starts getting in on the action and people start trying to buy or "clearchannel it". With the endless supply of music and stations available on the net, it may take a very long time to find exactly what you like, but I guarantee it's there.

I was never too interested in Satellite Radio. I was a bit excited about it when I first heard and learned about it, but other than that I didn't really care too much. The only reason I listen a bit is because my cable channels have sirius. I was never aware of any freestyle on Satellite radio at all. Well, I did hear a bit played in a mixshow on the disco/classic dance channel, but it was only a short portion of the one hour mix and nothing new. As far as a classic hip hop station disappearing from Sirius/XM radio, it's not really going to affect people here in Phoenix because we just got a brand new classic hip hop station here on terrestrial radio. They changed to classic hip hop about two weeks ago. It was previously all dance music.

There are few relatively good stations left in the US today. Unless you go to London or Canada, don't expect too much from radio when it comes to true variety (especially in top 40/rhythmic/urban format radio) within the foreseeable future with the current owners these stations are under.

Last edited by KDM7000; November 16th, 2008 at 02:49 PM.