freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > Freestyle Forums > Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet)

Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet) This forum is for DJ Impact to do whatever he wants to do with it. He may also change the name. :)

Freestyle Forums: The New "BEATLOCK" feature

Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice
Thumbs down The New "BEATLOCK" feature

So what do you real DJ's think about this new beatlock feature where some moron can press a button and lock his beat ??

Just a quick backround on myself. Started in the 1980's with 2 belt driven turntables - one of which didn't even have a pitch control. I was more or less forced to learn how to finger pitch and use other methods to get in and out of songs.
Hey , that is the way one learns real skills.
When I finally got some tech 1200's , I was in heaven !!!

My friend who also started out the old hardcore way and is a wonder on the turn tables just recently puchased two Numark CD tables. They are the same size and look like regular tables. I read up on them and they got horrible reviews. My friend says they are awesome but these little fake ass DJ's don't like them because the beatlock feature doesn't work well at all. I accept that CD's are valid these days and give the same respect as vinyl because the DJ must mix on them like he would a real turn table - set the pitch , throw it on beat etc. The bad reviews are from fakes that really can't mix to begin with.
In other words they can't mix and really want the equipment to do the work for them therefore they prefer the more expensive Pioneer CD table set because basically you press a button and the thing just speeds up or slows down on its own and locks the beat in for you. I don't have much respect for people who "need" this feature in order to mix. If a DJ needs to do this , fuck it , they might as well just automate the whole thing and let a couple of hard drives play the music while the DJ goes home and takes a nap for a few hours.

You know , I know times change but this just ain't right ....
With some of this new technology , the whole proffesion of DJ'ing is being corrupted by people who can't even put two similar beats together on their own straight up...

Last edited by BloomfieldAveCruiser; May 2nd, 2008 at 06:14 PM.

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:58 AM

DJ Coast is on a distinguished road
Re: The New "BEATLOCK" feature

I think its crap. I spin strictly vinyl and I would never touch a cd mixer. It took a long time to master beatmatching, no offense to cd deejays, but its cheating in my book. I hope thats not too harsh as I am new here, but I just spent around 40 hours this week putting together a set and I went thru a stack of blank cd's before I was satisfied with it. If I was to do it on these new cd mixers that do the beat matching for you it would be too easy and no fun, plus it wouldn't have that "basement" sound to it.

You can easily tell a cd dj versus a turntable dj when listening to a mix cd, it just sounds too perfect, and often they still don't know about timing breaks and counting beats. You have to know your records and also how to read them...wow its not even the same sport IMO. Not to mention analog just sound better, especially the bass that comes from freestyle..

After reading some other threads tonight, there are some who don't understand the art of beatmatching and what it means, its an integral part of freestyle..."those who know...know...djc.

Last edited by DJ Coast; May 6th, 2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM

taezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the rough

ive seen some parties lately where the "DJ" shows up with nothing but a laptop
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by taezee View Post
ive seen some parties lately where the "DJ" shows up with nothing but a laptop
Thats such a letdown !!!!! One must ask "why is he even there?"

You know , I understand that a DJ these days doesn't want to cart around crates of records etc etc ....
However they should have at least enough respect for the proffesion to bring two CD tables with their CD's and give the crowd a real mix on the spot ..
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Coast View Post
I think its crap. I spin strictly vinyl and I would never touch a cd mixer. It took a long time to master beatmatching, no offense to cd deejays, but its cheating in my book. I hope thats not too harsh as I am new here, but I just spent around 40 hours this week putting together a set and I went thru a stack of blank cd's before I was satisfied with it. If I was to do it on these new cd mixers that do the beat matching for you it would be too easy and no fun, plus it wouldn't have that "basement" sound to it.You can easily tell a cd dj versus a turntable dj when listening to a mix cd, it just sounds too perfect, and often they still don't know about timing breaks and counting beats. You have to know your records and also how to read them...wow its not even the same sport IMO. Not to mention analog just sound better, especially the bass that comes from freestyle..After reading some other threads tonight, there are some who don't understand the art of beatmatching and what it means, its an integral part of freestyle..."those who know...know...djc.
I agree Coast .... I really agree with the parts above the I bolded out.
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM

freestylegreek is a jewel in the roughfreestylegreek is a jewel in the roughfreestylegreek is a jewel in the rough

LOL funny how you should say laptop cause years ago my cousin got married and the guy had a laptop with some sorta dj tool software on it and a mixer and 2 cd players. It was jokes how this guy was telling people how affordable he was.

If i ever get married i want a DJ who mixes with records and cds. I dont want to see any computers anywhere.
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM

DJ Alex Cruz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DJ Alex Cruz

I've been spinning for over 20 years and I converted to CDs. I got tired of carrying all those crates so I converted my vinyl to CDs. I don't think it takes away from the art of mixing all, but If you're talking about DJs who make mixed CDs with a computer that's a different thing. I currently use Pionner CDJ's and it does give me that vinyl feel without carrying all the crates but the warmth of the vinyl sound is not there. Now my CD collection is getting to big to carry around. Alot of Big name DJs are now using Serato. I'm not completely against because you can still use it with actual turntables and CDJs only difference is that the laptop actually stores the music. I've never used Serato before so I don't know if it beat matches for you, but I'm against anything that doesn't allow you to spin live. I still have a DJ booth at home with two Technic 1200's and two Pionner CDJs with a rotary mixer and I still spin my vinyl at home, but when I'm on the road, CDs it is. When I make my mixed CDs, I do spin live but I either record it my laptop using a recording software which makes it easier to chop up the mix into separate tracks. If you don't like the mix, simply delete and start over until you're satisfied with your mix, save it, chop it up and burn. You can also pause your mix if you messed up, back up the song right before you messed up, record and edit it later, kind of like "punching in" when you're recording a live band.

BloomfieldAveCruiser, I can't believe I finally found someone who mixed without pitch control. I thought I was the only one in world who did that. If you were familiar with BPMs back in the day you would have to start your freestyle mixes with 116 BPM and work your way up to 120 otherwise your mixes would sound fast then slow. You're an old school guy like me, but you have to learn to open your mind a little bit. Alot of my fellow DJ friends mostly spin with Serato, but I don't know if there is a beatlock function. I would hope you would still have to use the pitch control on the CDJ. I do remember the Numark CDN88 that had the beatlock feature and it did the mixing for you, all you had to do was raise and lower the line levels. I agree that is NOT DJing at all.

I admit, CDs will never beat vinyl, but if a CD gets scratched, all you have to do is burn a new one. What happens when a classic vinyl record gets old or scrathed? You have to spend $10 to $25 on that classic record because it's a rare find. For instance, I bought the Latin Racals first album, "Bach To The Future", I converted it to CD, and now the vinyl sounds like sh*t. The record is very hard to find on the internet and I've seen it as much as $50. Now I love the Latin Rascals, but I'm not about to spend $50 on that record when I spent $9.99 back in the day. I can go on and on, but my hands are tired. I hope I put my two cents in.

Last edited by DJ Alex Cruz; October 29th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM

taezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the rough

I think its more then 50.00 bro bach to the future i think i saw it the other day for like 130.00 on amazon wow bro remember the new years party we did at your mother in laws house think it was 1999 time flies bro think it was the last time I tried to DJ lol
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Mixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really niceMixmaster Tony Rocca is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by taezee View Post
I think its more then 50.00 bro bach to the future i think i saw it the other day for like 130.00 on amazon wow bro remember the new years party we did at your mother in laws house think it was 1999 time flies bro think it was the last time I tried to DJ lol
Have a couple of copies of the album which I NEVER use, I use the 12" releases I got back then..have 2 copies per 12" release since I work both copies when I use them, especially my fav Macho Mozart...

As far as Beatlock...

IT BLOWS
....will never use that crap, when you are a fighter pilot it's like using autopilot in a dog fight. Just gets you killed...

If you are a real dj use vinyl, the excuse of "my records are too heavy", costs too much..etc..you want to be a great dj that is what it takes.

Back in the day, records cost money, equipment costs money records are heavy..same shit as today. Do I like carrying 500 records to a gig, yeah I do, keeps you in shape and I like that because I am not lazy. It is part of a routine that I am used to...would I like to carry that load if I am traveling overseas, no because of airline regulations, however I would only take about 200 which is still within dj'ing manageability.
#1 Arbitron Rated Radio DJ
#1 Dance Mix Show in NYC History
MIX 102.7FM - NYC

www.DJtonyrocca.com
www.youtube.com/amrjr007[/YOUTUBE]
Facebook Fanpage with mix sets for you to enjoy:
http://www.facebook.com/DJTONYROCCA?...9091300?ref=mf
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM

DJ Alex Cruz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DJ Alex Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Tony Rocca View Post
Have a couple of copies of the album which I NEVER use, I use the 12" releases I got back then..have 2 copies per 12" release since I work both copies when I use them, especially my fav Macho Mozart...
As far as Beatlock...

IT BLOWS
....will never use that crap, when you are a fighter pilot it's like using autopilot in a dog fight. Just gets you killed...
If you are a real dj use vinyl, the excuse of "my records are too heavy", costs too much..etc..you want to be a great dj that is what it takes.
Back in the day, records cost money, equipment costs money records are heavy..same shit as today. Do I like carrying 500 records to a gig, yeah I do, keeps you in shape and I like that because I am not lazy. It is part of a routine that I am used to...would I like to carry that load if I am traveling overseas, no because of airline regulations, however I would only take about 200 which is still within dj'ing manageability.
Let me ask you this Tony, what happens if they stop making vinyl? Are you going to stop DJing because you wont be considered a "real dj"? Little Louie Vega whose been DJing forever goes out with CDs. If you remember when he spun at the Copa for the freestyle concert he was using 3 CDJ's. You cant tell me he's not a "real DJ". Given, nothing can replace the sound of vinyl, but as time progresses, so does technology. When it comes to hip hop, I would rather vinyl because I have my stickers on there to tell me where I want to cut, but I CAN NOT do that with CDs. Today recording studios are not using DATs or reel to reels, everyone is using computers. Editors are no longer using razors and chopping blocks, everyone is using computers. I'm not here to judge other DJs, or whether they prefer vinyl to CDs, I'm not "Mr.X", I'm only here to to put my two cents in on both methods and I don't think you need to carry vinyl to be a "real dj". To me a "real DJ" is not what you choose to spin with, it's about your mixing skills, how you move the crowd, and how the crowd responds to you. It's about the love for music and that's all I'm going to say. Peace!