freestyle dance music forum

Go Back   Freestyle Music > Freestyle Forums > Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet)

Party 105's DJ Impact (Back In The Day Buffet) This forum is for DJ Impact to do whatever he wants to do with it. He may also change the name. :)

Freestyle Forums: Can any DJ clarify this for me?

Old April 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM

mrderekevan will become famous soon enough
Question Can any DJ clarify this for me?

I have been a singer, recording artist, and mobile DJ for several years, and have entertained at many different types of events. I am also a former radio DJ, and my radio program was a top rated show. Whenever I entertain at a party or event, I almost always get a very positive response from the people who hired me and from all their guests.

Well, I recently entertained at a birthday party in which 2 other professional DJ's attended the party. They told me that I'm obviously an amateur DJ who doesn't know anything about how to mix music. I argued that mixing music is not that difficult and that I do it on a regular basis. (Using the mixing control lever on a CD mixer is very easy, and it didn't take me long to learn how to use it). They said that I may do it regularly, but it doesn't mean that I'm doing it correctly. They also started talking about matching "beats per minute" and then I was totally lost and had no idea what they were talking about.

My question is, what is that "beats per minute" thing all about? Is that something that you DJ's out there know about, or were the 2 guys just giving me a line of crap? All I know is, I've been in the entertainment business for many years, and I've even had my own radio program, and I never heard comments like that before!

Old April 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
NYF's Power DJ

ceesil is a jewel in the roughceesil is a jewel in the roughceesil is a jewel in the roughceesil is a jewel in the rough
Re: Can any DJ clarify this for me?

i just wanna say with no disrespect it you are a prifessional dj and don't know what bpm's are that is a problem...

i will expalin

the beats per minute in a song vary...it is when you count for 1 minute the beats in a song.. take for example i'll house you by the jungle brothers when i count the beats i come up with 124 bpm, this make it easier to mix other 124 bpm records together and having other records sound too fast or too slow in pitch...any other questions feel free to ask..
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM

taezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the roughtaezee is a jewel in the rough

not disrespectfully but how are you a DJ "for several years" and this is the first time hearing beats per minute??? its like saying ive been driving for a few years now and yesterday some guys tell me theres something in my car called a steering wheel which controls the direction of the vehicle
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM

I appreciate you guys telling me about the whole BPM thing. To be honest, I primarily work as a DJ who specializes in pop and rock'n'roll oldies from the 50's, 60's, & 70's. In that genre, there is very little "mixing" involved. We just play a record, wait until it starts to fade out, say a few words, and then just start another song. Sometimes we do mix from one song straight into another, but BPM's are totally irrelevant. As one song fades out, we just mix right into the beginning of the next song. That's how all the oldies DJ's do it. That's even how they do it on CBS-FM 101.1.

However, I've been doing more events in which I'm required to play dance music from the 80's through today. I have significant knowledge of that music, and I have tons of songs in my collection, but I mix the songs together the same way I mix the oldies. I don't know any other way of mixing which is probably why some of the contemporary DJ's say I'm just an amateur. Anyone care to direct to a source where I can learn more about the techniques of contemporary DJ's??

By the way, just to prove that I am an experienced professional in the entertainment business, and not just someone pretending to be a DJ, you could visit my official online promo kit at the following address: www.gigmasters.com/music/derekevan

Last edited by mrderekevan; April 13th, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: unknown
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM

oldskoolguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderekevan View Post
I appreciate you guys telling me about the whole BPM thing. To be honest, I primarily work as a DJ who specializes in pop and rock'n'roll oldies from the 50's, 60's, & 70's. In that genre, there is very little "mixing" involved. We just play a record, wait until it starts to fade out, say a few words, and then just start another song. Sometimes we do mix from one song straight into another, but BPM's are totally irrelevant. As one song fades out, we just mix right into the beginning of the next song. That's how all the oldies DJ's do it. That's even how they do it on CBS-FM 101.1.
However, I've been doing more events in which I'm required to play dance music from the 80's through today. I have significant knowledge of that music, and I have tons of songs in my collection, but I mix the songs together the same way I mix the oldies. I don't know any other way of mixing which is probably why some of the contemporary DJ's say I'm just an amateur. Anyone care to direct to a source where I can learn more about the techniques of contemporary DJ's??
By the way, just to prove that I am an experienced professional in the entertainment business, and not just someone pretending to be a DJ, you could visit my official online promo kit at the following address: www.gigmasters.com/music/derekevan
OMG! This has got to be an April Fools Joke. You can't be serious! Please, please please tell me you're pulling our leg! In my entire life, I've never never never ever heard anyone claiming to be a "experienced professional in the entertainment business" ask such a ridiculous question. If you are serious, you need to reconsider your self proclaimed "experienced professional" claim. I know little kids that know BPM. I know 70+ year olds that aren't even in the industry that know that. C'mon man, stop frontin! Two turntables, a mic, a few weddings, and a page on gigmasters does not = "experienced professional in the entertainment business". Trade in your cheap tux, equipment, and try plan "b". i.e. pick up a trade, like woodworking or bass fishing like the other losers at Budd Lake... OSG
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

Quote:
I have been a singer, recording artist, and mobile DJ for several years, and have entertained at many different types of events. I am also a former radio DJ, and my radio program was a top rated show. Whenever I entertain at a party or event, I almost always get a very positive response from the people who hired me and from all their guests.
Well, I recently entertained at a birthday party in which 2 other professional DJ's attended the party. They told me that I'm obviously an amateur DJ who doesn't know anything about how to mix music. I argued that mixing music is not that difficult and that I do it on a regular basis. (Using the mixing control lever on a CD mixer is very easy, and it didn't take me long to learn how to use it). They said that I may do it regularly, but it doesn't mean that I'm doing it correctly. They also started talking about matching "beats per minute" and then I was totally lost and had no idea what they were talking about.
My question is, what is that "beats per minute" thing all about? Is that something that you DJ's out there know about, or were the 2 guys just giving me a line of crap? All I know is, I've been in the entertainment business for many years, and I've even had my own radio program, and I never heard comments like that before!
Bro , really .... Those guys were spot on !!!!

No personal disrespect to you but you are not a DJ .....
If you can't take your finger and pitch out a 12" inch record or a CD and beat them up etc. , then you are not a DJ.

All of this new technology is KILLING what DJ's truely are and ruining the skill and talent that they used to be known for.
Beatlock , continuous loop etc etc .... FAKE ASS DJ's ....
From the sounds of it , you aren't even using that if those other DJ's commented to you.

Are you familiar with pitch ?? You know , the lever on the right side of a turn table or CD table ...
Point is when you MIX , you beat up two songs , either mix in the other song into the first songs break beat or towards the end. The mix must sound as if its almost the same song and one can not hear clashing beats etc.
I'm not going to get anymore into it because if you can't beat up two songs on your own or don't know what BPM's are then I don't want to add anymore info to this.

DJ'ing is not just knowing what to play. I mix on turn tables. I have been since the 80's. I use 3 1200's .... I keep it real.
These days people use the Pioneer small CD tables , the larger Newmarks which look like a turn table but you pop the CD inside. You can grab the fake record on top with your hand and it will react like a 12" record.
Even though I'm old school , I respect those that still beat up their mixes with the CD equipment. Nothing like keeping something onbeat with your finger ... LOL
I have no respect for DJ's that only cut in and out of tracks , can't beat anything up on their own , those that clash beats.

Really though , you don't have much to worry about. I know guys who DJ in clubs and can't even get two of the same song on beat if they had to.
It's sad that DJ'ing has become what it is. Long gone are the days where you actually NEEDED skill , hand / ear coordination etc etc to be a DJ.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Red face Re: Can any DJ clarify this for me?

Well guys, thanks for the input and your honest feedback. I did understand some of what you were saying, and I will keep it in mind. Some of what you said confused me even more! I mean, I just had no clue what you were talking about at some points.

I'm not going to worry too much about it though. I may not be a "real DJ" based on the standards of DJ's in the dance music community, but my bookings have actually tripled in the last couple of years, and I'm making alot of extra money working in the entertainment business. I even did a job this summer in which 2 people told me I was the best DJ they've ever heard at a party! That really meant alot to me. If I can continue doing what I'm doing, and keep getting paid good money for it, why should I let the complaints of a few DJ's at a party get me upset. People can call me an "amateur", or a "fake DJ", but I take my work very seriously and I am having alot of success with it. I also started my own entertainment business, and I am slowly expanding into new areas. Of course, I am also going to be promoting concerts as I have done in the past.
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:16 AM
FREESTYLE ARTIST

brielle87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... but I take my work very seriously and I am having a lot of success with it.
Well if you proclaim this, then you really need to understand what the whole 'process' is really about. Your business is doing well because you must have a great personality, and can rally the crowd/party goers, but it is also important to know the whole art of DJ'ing.
When you listen to a song, any song, there will be a driving beat...become familiar with it, and then start counting off to that beat, then take a stop watch and time 60 sec. When you start the stop watch, immediately start counting to the beat of the music, after 60 seconds is up, you should have your bpm's. It cannot be more simply put than that.
The trick with mixing music, on vinyl, is to have two songs who have bpm's that are close. As one song goes into an instrumental part/a break, you want to have your second song ready to start spinning (or already mixed in and you can just blend over); the trick with the pitch control is to slowdown, or speed up a song to get it in sync with the first so the transition will be seamless.
For all the DJ's here, forgive me for oversimplifying it, I am just trying to give this guy a basic how-to. I know there is so much more I should have added, but it could have led to confusion.
I really hope you will take the time to learn all of this mrderekevan, it is like someone who never learnt how to properly swim, going to a dive meet. You need to know the basics, as with all things. Good luck.
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM

BloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really niceBloomfieldAveCruiser is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brielle87 View Post
Well if you proclaim this, then you really need to understand what the whole 'process' is really about. Your business is doing well because you must have a great personality, and can rally the crowd/party goers, but it is also important to know the whole art of DJ'ing.
When you listen to a song, any song, there will be a driving beat...become familiar with it, and then start counting off to that beat, then take a stop watch and time 60 sec. When you start the stop watch, immediately start counting to the beat of the music, after 60 seconds is up, you should have your bpm's. It cannot be more simply put than that.
The trick with mixing music, on vinyl, is to have two songs who have bpm's that are close. As one song goes into an instrumental part/a break, you want to have your second song ready to start spinning (or already mixed in and you can just blend over); the trick with the pitch control is to slowdown, or speed up a song to get it in sync with the first so the transition will be seamless.
For all the DJ's here, forgive me for oversimplifying it, I am just trying to give this guy a basic how-to. I know there is so much more I should have added, but it could have led to confusion.
I really hope you will take the time to learn all of this mrderekevan, it is like someone who never learnt how to properly swim, going to a dive meet. You need to know the basics, as with all things. Good luck.
Very well said ....

mrderekevan , I didn't mean to sound so harsh above. You seem like a nice enough guy so please don't misunderstand my tone.
If you are making your living $$$ , more power to you ...
It seems like for the most part you are doing more relaxed parties where mixing etc. really doesn't matter all that much.
Just be sure what type of parties you decide to take on. You don't want to get caught out there with a crowd expecting something if you know what I mean.
You probably wonder why I use 3 turn tables (sometimes 4) when in your mind all you need is 2 ..... That is the art of mixing. Making something sound like something else ....
I think you should just stick to what you are doing if you are doing well.
Seriously speaking though , I can teach my 91 year old Grandmother how to blend in a fade at the end of each song.
Nothing difficult about that.
"Here Grandma , press that start button and move that lever" LOL

What you should just do if you run into these DJ types again is just come clean. Say you are an Entertainment DJ but you do not mix as in beating up two or more songs at the same time. Just say you blend songs back to back.
Then at that point these DJ types won't expect anything more.
Being a DJ , I can tell you when we run into other DJ's that can't put beats together , after a few drinks , its just in our blood to want to teach others how to put mixes together. Don't take it to personally ...
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks very much for all the input and advice! (Except for the guy who told me to turn in my "cheap tux" and become of fisherman). For now I plan on continuing to do things the way I'm doing them now, while also continuing to learn more about "mixing", "matching BPM's", etc, so I can eventually take other types of jobs that I don't currently do.
Just for the record, I rarely entertain at nightclubs or places that get alot of dancers. I do alot of birthday parties, restaurants, corporate events, cocktail hours, retirement homes, car shows, backyard barbecues, active adult centers, and anniversary parties. At most of these events, people have a great time and enjoy the music, but they are mainly just there to talk, eat, and drink! They have almost no interest in dancing, even though we try to encourage them to dance. The music is just backround to them, and they could care less about how (or if) songs are mixed. Most of the time they are too busy talking to even know what songs are playing or what I'm saying in the microphone. The event planners and I are lucky if we can get 7 or 8 people out on the dance floor the whole night, and that's after hours of trying many different genres of music. I guess the people these days who really want to dance just go to the nightclubs. That's where DJ's like YOU guys can do your thing!